Are you impressed how some people know when there’s a storm coming? What are the storm warning signs they can see that you can’t?
Whilst we all think that we would know if a storm was approaching why do we get caught out so often?
Heard the phrase, the calm before the storm? Wonder where it came from?
Depending on where you are, and the time of year, there are several storm warning signs that you
Here are some of the storm warning signs you should be aware of.
Different cloud types indicate different types of weather.
- Do you know your cumulus from your stratus, or your cirrus from your nimbostratus?
If you spend a lot of time outdoors, then perhaps you need to know more about clouds.
The temperature is likely to drop suddenly if a storm is on its way.
- If you’re outside and suddenly feel cold, look at the sky and see if the weather is about to change
3. Darkness often means thunder
It often gets darker when a thunder storm is approaching.
- If the sky suddenly goes black, now might be the time to get back inside, or perhaps find some shelter
4. Animal behavior
Animals are often a good indication of what the weather will do next as their sense of smell and hearing is far better than humans.
Many animals can smell rain from several miles away, and some will become more excitable as the stormy weather approaches.
Birds tend to fly lower if bad weather is on its way, whilst cows often lie down when it’s about to rain. Sheep will huddle together if they sense a storm is imminent.
- What are the animals near you doing?
- If you’re not in the city center or on the highway can you see what cattle and birds are doing?
Perhaps the wind has suddenly changed direction, or has got stronger.
This could indicate that a storm is on the way, and that you should keep your wits about you.
- Major weather moves from west to east
If you’re outside working, and can see the clouds moving from west to east, then perhaps it might be time to come inside
6. Common Sense
Sometimes you just sense something is wrong.
- Perhaps everybody is moving in the same direction trying to get indoors
- Perhaps there’s nobody around and there should be
It’s always a good idea to look at the weather forecast and have some idea of where you’re going and what you will be doing, in case the weather does change.
You don’t need to be caught out painting a house, or on a hike, because you didn’t watch the weather forecast on the news or have access to the weather on your cellphone.
Now you’ll know more about what sort of things to look for, and what you need to learn more about before you spend time outside.
It’s also a good idea to know more about the Different Storm Types in your region, and when they occur.
Remember to look at our Storm Damage Checklist to make sure you stay safe, and get your insurance claim sorted so you can gt back to normal as soon as possible.
If you manage to escape a storm but your home doesn’t, why not Contact Us at 877-ROOF-310 today and tell us what you need us to do in terms of storm damage repair.